Monday, December 20, 2010

Old Delhi and Chandni Chowk

For obvious reasons, medieval cities or neighborhoods are hard to find these days. I have wandered through a few, notably the Trastevere neighborhood in Rome, the cities of Sienna and Venice and most recently Old Delhi. These places are defined by impossibly narrow streets and almost non-existent city planning. For the most part, maps are worthless.

While I only had a few hours to get lost in Old Delhi, I was left with a lasting impression. Never had I been to a place with so many people in such tight quarters. When just a block or two away from the main commercial arteries, the architecture is fascinating – looming three and four story havelis with incredibly elaborate entrances that open to magnificent courtyards. I was in India but at moments it seemed I had been transported to a more colorful, Eastern set for Romeo and Juliet.

But as interesting as the buildings and monuments are in India the people always steal the show. Outside of the canopied jungle of medieval streets and alleyways I decided to shoot a quick video of the scene on Chandni Chowk – the 500 year old “main street” of the Mughal city. If you look closely at the end you can see the famous Red Fort in the distance – the ultimate symbol of Mughal power. Enjoy:


No comments:

Post a Comment