Friday, December 17, 2010

Back to the States and Prince (again)

I'm cold, really, really cold. I think the transition from 80 degrees and the Indian sun to 25 and snow in Washington would be tough on anyone. Pulling my bags out of the car in topsiders and no socks last night was inadvisable.

But anyway, I'm home for Christmas for a few weeks and while I'm going to continue to write about India while I'm here (there is more than enough in the vault) I'm also going to sprinkle in a few other topics as well.

When I woke up at five this morning I browsed a few of my favorite blogs and came across an interesting post from the Atlantic's Ta-Nehisi Coates on sexuality and Prince. He writes about sitting down with his son and telling him how to talk with women and that Prince will absorb a significant part of that conversation.

He goes onto to write, "Watching Prince as a kid, we derided him as gay and had no sense as to why all the young girls were into him. But looking at him now, though it much it aggrieves me, it must be said that Prince is, indeed, a sexy motherfucker.

Homophobia doesn't just make you bigot, it ruins your music taste and makes it harder to understand women--perhaps not in that order."

I couldn't agree more. I think back to watching Prince on MTV in the early 90s. The video that sticks out to me is "Diamonds and Pearls" and I remember being utterly confused by him but transfixed by the sound. I'm not saying your homophobic if you don't like or appreciate Prince but give him another listen if you passed him off because of the androgynous look.

For a fantastic video of him performing "If I was your girlfriend" go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment