Thursday, October 28, 2010

Ruffled Shirts and Drum Machines

I have always wanted to go as Prince for Halloween. With a few Halloween parties popping up in Bangalore this year, I toyed with the idea of making it happen, but alas, no one would get it (talk about awkward).

While this might not be the year of the Prince costume, I'm going to devote a post to him.

Prince was and is the Scarlet Pimpernel of music.

I have an odd fascination with Prince -- the music, the showmanship, the costumes, everything. He has always been spectacularly bizarre, but incredibly entertaining.

I know there are a lot of people out there that just don't get him, that probably don't get me liking him, but I think you need to watch and listen again.

Back in 1985 (the year I was born) there was no one hotter. The music was out of this world, the androgynous look was so weird it worked and the guy could dance.

For a simple change of pace -- yes, I realize this has nothing to do with India -- I give you Prince, "I would die 4 for you," live 1985. Enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. Halloween in the States will not be the same without you. No one has more fun than you do stepping into another "character" once a year. I can certainly understand your nod to Prince. Enjoy, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too bad. I was really looking forward to one day opening up an article in GQ India discussing the purple suede blazer and puffy shirt's triumphant rise to prominence in modern fashion thanks to the trendy stylings of an unknown expat.

    ReplyDelete